BSCL met on September 7, 2017.
The meeting was called to order at 7:40 by president Chris Siple.
The minutes of the May meeting were approved.
Jennifer Lis presented the FY2018 budget. It was approved. Dues income is up. Significant expenditures are expected for replacement of the heating/AC systems and for groundskeeping.
Barbara Swart conducted a presentation on the “Ready for 100” project, which aims for 100% renewable electricity by 2035. At the end of it, she proposed that BSCL adopt a resolution supporting Ready for 100 and send it to the County Board and the Civic Federation, urging them to do the same. This proposal was seconded and passed. (The resolution was sent to the Board and the Civic Federation on Sept 11.)
We briefly discussed the following:
- The two big developments on Columbia Pike, and the traffic patterns they created
- The parking problems Barcroft is encountering, and the appropriate responses
- The demolition of the Shea house
- The need for volunteers to do some yard work on the Community House grounds
- The dog park in Shirlington, which is going to survive intact
- The end of the County’s efforts on traffic calming--it’s now Complete Streets
The meeting was closed at 8:50 PM