Barcroft Neighborhood Conservation
Plan - 2008
This is the 2008 Barcroft Neighborhood Conservation Plan.
Here is the final version. It was "accepted" by the County Board on November 18, 2008.
Below are steps in the process that got us there.
Last stages, Spring of 2008
We have finished entering the responses to the Barcroft Neighborhood Conservation survey into a database. We entered every comment in addition to the check box totals.
We got exactly 275 surveys back, a response rate of 32.6 per cent. In addition to the 28 block captains who distributed and picked up the surveys, Marlene Oronao translated the survey into Spanish and distributed it along Columbia Pike. Many thanks to all who helped.
In the next phase the committees will meet and draft sections of the plan. If you are interested in the drafting, please contact one or more of the committee chair(s) below:
Committees and Some of the Issues
Including meetings they held last year to get our Survey questions together.
Parks and Environment
Chairs: Shirley Gay 703-920-1913 and Shelley Fichtner
Members: Noreen Atkinson, Dan Elmer, Jim Kerr, Randy Swart
- FMR & Columbia Pike park design
- Va. Power substation
- Name for Taylor St park (Ann Noll Park ?)
Minutes of meetings:
Chair: Mark Wigfield (acting) 703-979-0339
Members: John Lis, David Peacefull and Elaine Squeri, Mark Wigfield
- Traffic calming done and left to do
- Bus routes
- George Mason
- Arlington Blvd
- Easier way to get to Ballston
- Parking: use of church parking lots
- Parking restrictions/zoned parrking?
- Snow clearance
Chair: Jame Eisenberg 703-553-8992
Members: Dan Junker, Theresa Saunders, Heidi Wicker, John Lis, Chris Ditta, Bruce Atkinson, Heidi Wicker, Eric Parker and Gary Mason
- Sidewalks: where to finish
- Finish Pershing/3rd/Wakefield intersection
- Fix Arlington Boulevard/Pershing intersection
Chair: Deborah Wood
Members: Ken Simpson, Jill Herndon.
- Affordable housing
- Buchanan Gardens
- Arlington Mill Center
- Services for ageing in place
Chair: Chris Hoh 703-979-1947
Members: Maureen O'Keefe, Barbara Swart
- Arlington Blvd strip
- Pike "pocket" between Food Star and Taylor St
- Curbing newspaper machines on the pike
- Discouraging throwaway newspapers
Chair: Bryant Monroe
Members: Bryant Monroe and John Lis
- Business mix on the Pike
- Evolving needs
Zoning and Land Use
Members: Bruce Atkinson, Byrant Monroe, Randy Swart
- Pipestems and other cramming
- Pike Form Based Code issues
Chair: Heidi Wicker (Acting)
Members: Sara Amy Leach, Gary Mason, Bruce Atkinson and Heidi Wicker.
- Historic designation for the neighborhood?
Co-Chairs: Pat Williamson and Marlene Oronao
Susan Cohen, Mark Wigfield, Randy Swart
Peg Lefebvre, Barbara Swart
This page was revised on: October 17, 2012.